Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy 10th Birthday Eric!


***Warning***


*****Mother is reminiscing about her oldest child reaching his first decade of life, possible sappy content to follow*****


Today, January 27th, our oldest son, Eric turns 10. I just am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that he is 10 years old...I know millions of mothers around the world have watched their children turn 10 without more than a blink, but it seems quite monumental to me. He is more than halfway to becoming 18...that magical age, after this he won't be able to count his age on his fingers, and he is into the double digits. It just doesn't seem possible that I gave birth to him 10 years ago...then, I look at the picture of me and Dennis with him in the hospital, and I realize it really has been 10 years! Yikes, I look like I'm 13 in that picture!!!


Back then, (like it was the middle ages or something) we didn't even own a digital camera! So I had to scan a couple of pictures from his baby book! I apologize for the grainy texture in the photos. He sure was a happy baby...and it seems like he just grew up so fast. After looking through his baby book, I thought I would share a few little-known facts about Eric and his childhood.




1. He lost his first tooth at 5 years old while biting apart lego pieces.


2. He started talking in sentences when he was about 15 months old and still can out-talk any of us-especially on long car rides!


3. His hair was so light-colored and so sparse he didn't need a haircut till he was 22 months old!


4. The year he was born (1999) gasoline was $1.03 a gallon where we lived in NC.


5. I had Eric in cloth diapers...all that rinsing, soaking, washing, line-drying...was I crazy???


6. At age 2 1/2 would eat anything as long as it was dipped in ketchup---yuk!


7. Slept best as a baby when we were camping...and it was tent camping back then too :)


8. Favorite past time is by far....reading.


9. Right now he has 7 baby teeth out of his mouth, and he is looking rather horsey!!!


10. His best quality is always being willing to help out others.


Here is a little video of the gift opening. We celebrated his birthday with family on Saturday, since everyone was around. Today, on his birthday...it is snowing! Finally! Real snow, covering the ground. What a cool birthday present from our maker!









1 comment:

Kathie said...

Happy Birthday, Eric! What a nice post your Momma did. I always enjoy seeing picture stories. I especially enjoyed the "little known facts" part. Well done!