Monday, April 19, 2010

Comfort in Routine
We got out of our routine last week for a couple of reasons, but are thankful to be back in the routine starting today. There is something comforting to the kids and to me with our daily schedule, with the regular chores and school assignments. I have found that it is good for them to have free, unstructured time, but it is almost as if they need to first earn it. After a good day of work, to give the boys some free time makes it so much more valuable to them.

Leah (above photo) worked very hard to pick up her room today. It had gotten quite messy. And once it was all cleaned up, she was able to enjoy herself in there and spent the rest of the morning entertained by her favorite things---her little animal toys.
Of course for Eric, the demands during the day are much more: school assignments, practicing violin and piano, chores, etc. So when he was given free time this afternoon, he quickly retreated to his room to chill. What a difference I see in his attitude when he has been productive beforehand. Last week we had such problems with bad attitudes, and I can almost certainly say it was because we were out of the routine.

Science experiment-pH indicators with homemade test tubes!

Bay LOVES having his desk in his room. I used to keep all of the kids together in the school room, and it still is the central point from which we do things such as social studies, and keep all of our stuff. But when it's time for concentrated work in reading and math, it seems to help the boys to have a space without the distractions of each other to get their work done.
It is getting to be that time of year where I start planning what we will do next year. It is my favorite time...I'm pretty sure that I get more excited than my kids about school at this point in the planning stages.


No comments: