Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberry Season!


The day we decided to go strawberry picking it was the perfect temperature...not the usual sweaty hot I'm used to. My mom and I took the kids and they each filled a bucket, and we filled more...38 pounds to be exact. It was not until we loaded all of those delicious strawberries into the car that we realized that we had to do something with them fast!
That evening and the following day our hands were permanently stained berry-red as we sliced, smashed and stirred. Leah helped the whole time too!




When it was all done, we had made: 3 batches of jam, 2 strawberry shortcakes, 6 quarts of sliced/sugared frozen berries, 3 trays of frozen whole berries for smoothies, and one extra large pie for mother's day...plus some just for eating!





Do you think I'm crazy if I'd go picking again tomorrow? Strawberries are by far my favorite fruit of all.

















No comments: