Friday, October 07, 2011

Circles

Circles

At the middle school youth group meeting on Monday night, the youth pastor talked about our knowledge of God being likened to a widening circle. Imagine that everything that you know about God fits inside a circle. Everything that we don’t know is outside of that circle. Over time as we get older and grow in wisdom, experience more and learn more about God, what happens to our circle? Of course, it grows larger. But what happens outside of our circle-what happens to what we don’t know about God-what we don’t understand and can’t comprehend? Why, as our circle grows larger, the outside also grows larger, not smaller. It is a humbling thing to come to the point in life where I realize that, in fact, the more I learn about God and life means that the more I realize how much I don’t actually know, and how vast and limitless He is. I have been so naïve fooling myself into thinking that God fits inside a circle, and as my circle expands, his gets smaller. How tiny and immature I have been in my thinking. I can only pray that God continues to humble me with faith and knowledge of him that serves to increase Him and diminishes me.

No comments: