Tuesday, June 27, 2006


Sewing Projects

Heather has been doing a few sewing projects around the house lately. It all started with a foyer shoe bench that Dennis made out of our local black walnut. I made a cushion and slip-covered it, put in a zipper, and put on a few buttons. Not perfect, but it will do, and was really a test run for my next big project, slip-covering the couch!

Next I took some old pajama bottoms of mine and decided to turn them into pajama bottoms for Leah. The first pair turned out beautifully, only one problem, they were too small! Since it was my first time not using a pattern and making something without a pattern, I am not surprised. So, I increased the size, and made another pair, this time I sewed the fronts and backs together wrong and ended up with one skinny leg, and one fat leg, so I didn't include that silly picture! Nevertheless, Leah likes them since they are so soft and silky.

Well, now I was determined to prove to myself that I could make a pair of pants correctly, so I tried once again, and came up with the pink striped stretchy pair with ruffles.

Now that the pants issue was resolved, I went on to finish the curtains for Leah's play closet I have been working on for quite awhile. I got some really nice grossgrain ribbon on ebay for a great deal, lined the edges of some eyelet sheets I had with it, and put in a rod pocket at the top. Ouilah! Curtains! I always love making curtains because they are so straightforward, fun and easy.

Next upcoming project once I find some fabric I like is to make valances in the sunroom.

Click on the webshots link to "sewing projects" to see pictures if you'd like.

No comments: