Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A New Member of the Family
Recently we rescued a baby kitten from the end of our street. I know, I don't know what has gotten into me...I am not the rescue type. I guess I saw him and in a moment of weakness I was overtaken. Anyways, here he is. We think when we rescued him he was not more than 4 weeks old, if that. He could not lick himself, or lick milk from a bowl. He was in pretty bad shape. After some internet searching, and a few phone calls to our vet friend, we found out that he needed:
1. To be warm! a heating pad did the trick
2. He couldn't eat and get his digestion going until he was sufficiently warm-a dropper with kitten formula worked
After a few days of feedings with the dropper, he learned to lap up the formula with his tongue and so we moved to a bowl. Much easier. Then he amazingly started using a litter box...it is amazing the instincts God has given baby kittens.

Here he is wrapped up in a fleece blanket in Leah's lap the 2nd day we had him home. This is all he did for at least 24 hours...cuddled and got warm.
We have since set up home for him in Leah's bathroom...plenty of room for the kids to go visit and play, and the stinky litter is out of the way for me (my main aversion to cats is changing litter). Here he is perched on Eric's leg-he loves to perch on our laps! He is getting very playful and looks forward to playing with anyone who comes to visit him in his temporary home.


His eyes look blue in this picture, I guess due to the camera flash, but they are really greenish-brown. He's all black with a tiny tuft of white on his chest. Adorable. Can you guess his name?






Tiny little ball of fur. Did you guess his name yet? It's Spooky :)




No comments: