Monday, December 07, 2009

Christmas Surprise for Leah & a dissappointment
"Kit"
I am so excited about my handmade Christmas present for Leah. One of the things that is so surprising to me about her is her lack of interest in baby dolls; but on the flip side, her extreme interest in animal dolls and how she treats them as if they are baby dolls. She dresses them up, feeds them bottles, and all of the things that little girls do with baby dolls, except she wants nothing to do with human babies! Anyways, in this interest, I found a cute pattern for a handmade baby doll here and the alterations to make it into a kitty (she loves kitty cats), plus outfits to go with it.




I've never sewn anything like this before, and was wondering how it would be to work with tiny garments and such. The whole thing took me just one afternoon, kitty and 2 outfits. It was very fun to do, and I sure hope she likes it!


"Kit" in her little pink dots pintucked dress


"Kit" in her birthday suit
Reversible jumper and shirt


the other side of reversible jumper


On another note, I also got a new foam cushion for Elsa's bed and sewed a nice fleece cover for it with a zipper so it could be removed and washed. The one she had previously was super thin, falling apart, and smelled horrible as well. I got her a nice 3" cushion for her to cuddle up on. I thought it turned out very nicely.


However she was very wary of it from the start, and wouldn't even get in her bed unless I physically put her in. So I thought it just smelled funny to her since it was new, and it would take her a little while to get used to it. Well, she had other plans. yesterday when we got home from church, she had ripped the fabric apart at the seams and chewed up the foam! I guess she was telling me that she really didn't like it after all! We got a good laugh out of it, and now she's sleeping on the floor of her crate with no cushion for the time being. She seems to like that just fine! So much for appreciation from the dog!!!





2 comments:

Amy said...

OH, Heather! I'm sitting here laughing about the dog! That sounds like something our crazy dog would do. Too funny.

I love the kitty for Leah. Just adorable...I'm sure she will love it.

Kathie said...

I love the kitty too! As for the dogmat...sounds like something our dog would do.

I was looking forward to reading about your trip the whole time you were gone! Looks like you had a wonderful time. I didn't realize you were taking Elsa too!

Were there no alligators where you went swimming?! I think gators scare me more than snakes!

I love Bay's pj pants. Did you make those? The fabric looks familiar.

Glad you had a fun, safe trip. You all certainly look happy. I'm sure it's good to be home too.

Thanks for the posts.