Thursday, November 11, 2010

Oyster Dissection
At our home-school coop, Eric's class is doing anatomy through dissections. So far they have dismantled an owl pellet (which is NOT owl pool, as I once thought-it is regurgitated remains from the owl's last meals), earthworm, oyster and next a frog. It has been a wonderful science unit.
Because my dad farms oysters at his house, I volunteered to lead the oyster dissection. It turned out to be a fascinating experience. In my experience home schooling, whatever I teach, I end up learning so much more than I thought possible. Just goes to prove that learning is a life-long process.
The oysters were shucked just minutes before class, so they were still very alive. What was so cool was that the kids were able to see the tentacles (yes, oysters have tentacles!) respond to stimuli.

They were also able to see the oyster's tiny heart actually beating. It was amazing. If ever you are interested in doing an oyster dissection and you are in the area, feel free to let me know. Or if you can get your hands on a live oyster, it is a really cool experience. The lab I used as a guide was at this link: Oyster Dissection Lab
If you click on each of the links that are named -Figure 1-, -Figure 2-, etc. you will get some great pictures, but there is nothing like the real thing!



No comments: