Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ottoman Slipcover Project


We brought up this ottoman from a chair in our basement to use in the living room. I really enjoy having a place to put my feet up, but, boy, the color combination just makes me cringe. Since it is already slipcovered, I figured it would be easy to make one with a fabric that coordinates, since nothing really actually "matches" in our house ;)


So I made a long-overdue trip to Joanne's to find fabric and also some other things on my growing sewing list. I found a nice print on sale, and spent the afternoon yesterday putting together the slipcover. What a huge difference I think! And it was actually one of the easier projects I've done. Just a bunch of rectangles, some piping, fitting, pinning and done.

Of course, my sewing room has been neglected for a while now, but after Dennis and I spent a day a couple of weeks ago cleaning out the clutter and reorganizing, putting up shelves, hanging pictures, I felt compelled to use my nice space again! I'll give a little tour of my sewing space.



I love this wardrobe we kept from Dennis' mom's bedroom set. We sold everything else, but I held onto this. Dennis put some shelves in and it is the perfect place for my fabric! I've never had my fabric so organized in my life!

I keep my larger pieces in here, and in the drawers my notions. You can see in the above picture (of the sewing desk) to the left a white plastic storage thing...that holds my smaller pieces of fabric, loosely organized by color family. What I am now looking for is something to hold my many scraps...something I can dig around in easily, but also is easy to access. Right now, they are all in that plastic bag to the right of my sewing desk.


Here is a picture of the front of that wardrobe and also my little sitting corner. This is the chair that matches the ottoman, but the ottoman was always sticking out too far into the room, hence its move upstairs. It's such a nice, sunny little space...now if I can just keep it tidy I can get to that pile of mending I have stacking up!






1 comment:

Missy said...

Oooh! I love the new cover! It's stunning with the sectional!