Sunday, August 24, 2008

Waiting for students!
I said that I was working on re-organizing and re-arranging the school room and here is proof that it actually happened! It looks quite different from last year. I am disappointed that I didn't take a before-shot, but it was really depressing anyways. The biggest change is the computer nook in the first picture to the left. That is actually a doorway that was unused space until now. We shut the door and put in a piece of formica Dennis found at the dump. Now Eric's computer is there and we can monitor all of his online and computer use from most places in the house. He put up a few shelves above and the space is perfect! The other big change is that we got that round kitchen table out of there and picked up one of those rectangular tables from BJ's that the legs fold out. It will serve more kids at once and it will also be great for crafts and art projects. The bookshelves were moved and stacked even higher on top of each other. With the added storage above the computer nook, I have just a little bit of EXTRA space which I am sure will not go unused for long!
I took some ideas from other homeschooling friends and got a large basket for each child. I put each of their curriculum for the year (core stuff, not supplementary reading, etc.) in the basket so we can just pull out the basket for the day instead of pulling books off shelves, trying to reshelve and then making a grand mess of it all. Hopefully this will work better. I also put up a strip of wood with 2 clothespins on it (in the top picture on the left) to hang our maps and other posters. Instead of permanently tacking them to the wall, i can cycle in/out the ones we are currently using and easily hang several posters at once and then switch them with ease. I think this will work better too.


1 comment:

S.E. Painter said...

i'm so jealous...